Hi there! I’m a serial conference organiser, technical presenter, and software engineer.
Community and Developer Relations Roles
Director, Linux.conf.au 2017
Hobart, Australia (Volunteer); March 2014-Present
- Formed and led team that successfully bid for Australasia’s premier Free and Open Source Software conference.
- Sourced quotations and negotiated contracts with venue and accommodation suppliers.
- Managing volunteer team to plan and deliver a 5-day event, with up to 600 attendees, in January 2017.
Outreach and Sponsorship Chair, PyCon Australia
Australia (Volunteer); January 2014-Present
- Handling sponsor and vendor relationships for Australia’s premier Python developer event, negotiating and managing upwards of $60k in sponsor revenue annually. This represents approximately 35% of total conference revenue.
- Managing the conference’s financial assistance programme, providing grants to enable deserving people, from diverse backgrounds, to attend PyCon Australia. This programme represents 10% of the conference’s budget year on year.
Ordinary Committee Member (Board Member), Linux Australia
Australia (Volunteer); January 2014-February 2016
- Board Member of non-profit organisation that oversees the growth of the Australian Open Source community.
- Liaison between board and organisers of PyCon Australia.
- Developed policy for governance and oversight of conferences run under the organisation’s auspices.
Co-Director, PyCon Australia
Hobart, Australia (Volunteer); August 2011-July 2013
- Public face, community and sponsor liaison for two conferences, helping to grow conference to in excess of 300 attendees.
- Designed and delivered wide-reaching financial assistance scheme to improve outreach and opportunities for those traditionally unable to attend.
- Miniconf organiser (Volunteer), Linux.conf.au 2010-2014
- President (Volunteer), University of Tasmania Computing Society; December 2008-March 2011
Software Engineering Roles
Senior Software Developer, Asdeq Labs Pty Ltd
Hobart, Australia (Full-Time); October 2012-October 2015
- Automated testing for untested legacy Java server code, enabling a substantial increase of code coverage and refactors of previously untested code
- C++ application development featuring C++11, STL, Boost and LucenePlusPlus
- Android application in Java, based on wrapping a C++ application core. This included including binding between Java user interface code and C++ infrastructure code using the Android Native Development Kit.
- Other technologies encountered: Git, Python, Groovy & Gradle, Geb/Webdriver, Lucene (for Java), iOS development (Objective-C & Swift).
Software Developer, Secret Lab Pty Ltd
Hobart, Australia & Mountain View, California, USA (Full-Time, contract); October 2010-September 2012
- Contract Android, and Web back-end development for clients in Australia and overseas; notably the Android client for Meebo IM (acquired by Google).
- Conference workshop presentation, and mobile development training.
- Itinerant teaching assistant (Casual), University of Tasmania; February-November 2010
- Software Engineering Intern (Full-Time), Google Australia; December 2009-February 2010
Bachelor of Science with Honours, University of Tasmania
February 2007-August 2010
- First Class Honours in Computer Science; Majors in Pure Mathematics and Computer Science.
- Graduated with University Medal, 2010.
- ACM Intercollegiate Programming Contest World Finalist (with team), 2009.
Publications and Presentations
For a full listing of talks and videos, see http://chrisjrn.com/talks/ — some highlights are:
- Welcoming Everyone: Five Years of Outreach and Inclusion Programmes at PyCon Australia – FOSSETCON 2015
- Test-Driven Repair – OSCON 2015, PyCon Australia 2015
- Mobile Design and Development Tutorial with various titles – OSCON 2011-2015, with Paris Buttfield-Addison and Jonathon Manning (video not available)
I maintain a complete record of conferences and meetups I’ve been to on my Lanyrd profile.
- O’Reilly OSCON 2011-2015
- linux.conf.au 2012 and 2016
- PyCon Australia 2014-2015
- PyCon Canada 2013 (invited feature presenter) and 2015
- PyOhio 2014
- Kiwi PyCon 2014-2015
- Open Source Developers Conference Australia 2011 and 2015
- FOSSETCON 2015
- AUC /dev/world 2009-2015
- DroidCon India 2013
Awards and Recognition
- Fellow, Python Software Foundation; April 2013 (as Elected Member).
- University Medal in Science, Engineering and Technology, University of Tasmania; December 2010.
- ACM South Pacific Regional Programming Contest, 3rd place (with team), 2008 and 2009.